Edison State College Receives Recognition for Building Green
Dec 18, 2009
~Collier Campus Buildings, Only Two in County, Earn LEED Gold Certification~
Naples, FL – December 17, 2009 – Edison State College today announces the campus Dental Clinic, has been awarded LEED Gold Certification by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification system providing independent, third-party verification that a building project meets the highest green building and performance measures.
This is the second building on the Collier Campus to achieve LEED Gold Certification. The first, awarded in the spring of 2009, is the NCEF Early Childhood Development Center at Edison.
These two outstanding structures are currently the only two buildings in Collier County to achieve the coveted LEED Gold recognition.
“The Collier Campus of Edison State College is committed to promoting and providing education on environmental sustainability within the college and throughout the county,” said Edison Collier Campus President, Dr. Jeffrey Allbritten. “We are proud to have the only two LEED certified gold buildings in Collier County on the Edison State College campus. We are currently designing two new buildings for this Campus: Student Services and Allied Health Sciences. The campus Sustainability Initiative, our commitment to building and living green, will continue with new projects like these. "
The 20,000 sq. ft., two story, University of Florida Dental Clinic and educational facility provides dental education opportunities for students who reside in southwest Florida, clinical training for doctoral students and residents at the University of Florida, and continuing education opportunities for dentists in the region. Edison State College utilizes both new facilities for its education programs.
The UF Dental Clinic Building on the Edison State College Collier Campus achieved its Gold certification for the following accomplishments:
· Native and adaptive landscaping eliminates need for irrigation system
· Over 90% of wood FSC Certified
· Over 23% energy savings above ASHRAE 90.1-2004
· Over 20% use of recycled content
· 16.9% of materials manufactured regionally
· 91% of C&D waste diverted from landfills
The NCEF Early Childhood Development Center at Edison achieved its Gold certification for the following accomplishments:
· Over 75% of construction waste recycled and diverted from landfills
· Over 18% recycled content in construction materials
· Over 27% materials harvested and manufactured locally (within 500 miles of the project site)
· Over 53% wood-based materials from sustainably harvested FSC sources
· 100% use of Low/No-VOC carpet systems, adhesives, sealants, paints, and coatings in the building
· Zero use of composite woods with added urea-formaldehyde
· Strict indoor air quality standards held throughout construction
· Strict erosion and sediment control measures throughout construction