Effective Summer 2016, graduation at FSW is an automatic process, streamlining the necessary steps for students and ensuring their transcripts reflect the degree or certificate earned. Students will be automatically graduated upon completing all degree requirements, and diplomas will be mailed to the address on file. Students may opt out of the automatic process through their student portal or with the Registrar's Office.
Graduation is the term referring to the actual completion of your degree or certificate. Once you have been graduated, your transcript will note that a degree or certificaton was awarded and the date it was awarded.
Diploma is the term referring to the paper document that shows you have graduated from a particular program of study at FSW. You will receive your official diploma 6-8 weeks after graduation. It will be mailed to the address you have on file.
If you need to change your address click here for instructions
Commencement is the ceremony held once a year at the close of the Spring semester for graduates from all campuses celebrating their academic achievement. Students have the option of participating. If the student chooses to participate, the student must complete and submit the commencement ceremony application. There is no cost to participate other than the cost of the required cap and gown, which can be purchased at any FSW bookstore. (Please Note: participating in the Commencement ceremony does not ensure graduation. Graduation requirements must be satisfied in order for the degree to be awarded and a diploma issued.)
How to run a degree audit:
- Log in to the myFSW Portal with your user name and password.
- Click on the Student Academics tab.
- Click on the Degree Evaluation link found in the student records area.
- Select the current term, then click Submit.
- If the major is correct as shown on screen, click on Generate New Evaluation or
- If you want to run an audit for a different major, click on “What-If Analysis” and then follow the steps.
- Leave the In-Progress Courses box checked and submit.
When the program is finished running, click Detail Requirements and submit.
- Check the information at the top of the audit for the number of credits required and the number used.
- Check your overall GPA vs. Program GPA (a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required to graduate).
- On the Detail Requirements page you will see a column entitled “Met”. This section groups all of the general education requirements of your academic program, electives, and writing intensive
requirements. You will see a “Yes” or “No” for each requirement indicating you have fulfilled or not fulfilled the requirement.
- If your degree audit shows a “Yes” in all “Met” columns, please upload your degree audit to the application for degree. If you are not able to upload your degree evaluation,
your application for degree will still be able to be processed.
- If your degree audit shows a “No” in one or more “Requirement Details” (or met columns), please meet with an academic advisor to ensure you are on track to complete your program.
If you think the audit is incorrect, please meet with an Academic Advisor.
IF YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR YOUR FINAL SEMESTER, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO MEET WITH AN ACADEMIC ADVISOR TO BE SURE YOU ARE MEETING GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS.
If you have "yes" in ALL "Met" columns of your degree evaluation, you are eligible for graduation.
If the audit does not indicate “Yes” in each area:
- Make an appointment with an Academic Advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate.
- Check catalog requirements
- Use your degree audit to see your current catalog year. This can be found in the right upper corner of the audit.
- Open the catalog year from the college catalog page, find your program, and compare your audit result with the catalog requirements.
Yes, summer graduates are encouraged to attend commencement in the Spring prior. Start by completing the Commencement Ceremony Application found here.
For any questions or concerns you may have regarding the awarding of your degree and/or the annual commencement ceremony, please contact the Registrar's Office:
Florida SouthWestern State College
8099 College Parkway
Fort Myers, Florida 33919
Phone: (239) 489-9121