Join us for the 2020 Virtual Commencement Friday, June 5th at 5pm on
FSW has entered stage 1 of our return to campus plan. FSW will continue to serve students remotely during stage 1. Students will be allowed to come to campus for enrollment services during stage 2. The stage 2 start date will be Monday, July 13th. Details on how students can utilize on-campus services will be provided in the coming weeks.. Please continue to follow the FSW communication channels for updates. View return to campus plan.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why do I need to provide a bank statement indicating $ 20,875.12 (If living with sponsor) or $27,075.12 (If living on own) to pursue an associate degree? Will it cost me that much to attend your school?

Answer - This is an estimate of how much it will cost for one year including tuition, fees, health insurance, books, living expenses, travel and misc. If you are frugal, it may not cost you the full amount, but this is a fair estimate of what most students will need.

2. I am from an English speaking country; do I still need to take the TOEFL exam?

Answer - No, students from English speaking countries are not required to submit TOEFL scores, but you may benefit from studying for the TOEFL because you will be required to take college placement tests in English after you arrive on campus. These tests examine your ability to use standard American English.

3. Can international students work?

Answer - Yes, international students can work 20 hours per week on campus. However, the number of on-campus positions is limited and very competitive. Most positions require native-like English speaking ability. International students cannot work off campus without permission from the US Department of Citizenship and Immigration Services.

4. When should I arrive on campus?

Answer - Typically Immigration will not allow you to enter until 30 days prior to the start of a semester. You should arrive at least two weeks before classes start to complete assessment tests, register for classes, settle into living accommodations, purchase books and attend orientation.

5. How many classes must I take?

Answer - A minimum of 12 billable/credit hours per semester each spring and fall; summer classes are optional unless your first term is summer. Twelve credits is usually 4 classes.

6. Why do I need health insurance?

Answer - Private health care in the US is very expensive so FSW requires all international students to have health insurance. In addition, we recommend that you have eye, dental and general physical examinations done before leaving your home country, since they will probably cost you much less than in the US. Also, bring any prescription medication and eyeglasses along with medical documentation with you. These are very expensive in the US.

7. Does Florida SouthWestern State College provide housing on any of the campuses?

Answer - Florida SouthWestern State College has on-campus housing on Lee Campus.

8. How do I invite family members to visit?

Answer - Family members who are NOT children (under 21) or spouse of the F-1 student should apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa which allows eligibility visit the United States temporarily for tourism or business purposes. Family members from certain countries may be eligible to travel to the U.S. for visits of up to 90 days without a B-1/B-2 visa through the U.S. Department of State Visa Waiver Program. It is recommended that you give your family members a letter of invitation to document the purpose of their visit.

9. What is the SEVIS fee and do I need to pay it?

Answer - This SEVIS fee is required of all foreign nationals who come to the United States for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study in institutions such as colleges, universities, and language training programs. It is payable one time for each single educational program in which an F-1 student participates, extending from the time the student is granted F-1 status to the time the student falls out of status, changes status, or departs the U.S. for an extended period of time.

10. Can I get a student loan or financial aid?

Answer - International students are not eligible for U.S. federal student loans or aid.

11. After I’ve been at the College for a year will I be eligible for in-state tuition?

Answer - Unfortunately, F-1 students are always considered a resident of their home country and are not eligible for in-state tuition.