STEM @ FSWC-LEE
What is STEM?
Effectively embracing a school moto of “Work to Learn; Learn to Lead!!!” FSWC-Lee encourages all of our students to constantly improve their ideas and projects as part of the teaching and learning process. As you learn more about FSWC - Lee, you will find that many of the photos and video clips used throughout our website are student created and documented. This opportunity for students helps create a transparent environment where student work is used in an authentic context. It also provides a context for students to take crucial and incremental growth steps in their development of critical thinking, collaboration, and various modes of communication skills.
For our library of videos please click here, otherwise click on the following to learn more about the STEM education program at FSWC-LEE.
- The STEM school/program supports non-traditional student participation through outreach to groups often underrepresented in STEM program areas.
- Students work independently and collaboratively in an inquiry-based learning environment that encourages finding creative solutions to authentic and complex problems.
- Students are empowered to personalize and self-direct their STEM learning experiences supported by STEM educators who facilitate their learning.
- Students use technology resources to conduct research, demonstrate creative and critical thinking, and communicate and work collaboratively.
- Students demonstrate their learning through performance-based assessments and express their conclusions through elaborated explanations of their thinking.
- The interdisciplinary problem-based curriculum includes a focus on real world applications.
- STEM educators collaborate as an interdisciplinary team to plan, implement, and improve integrated STEM learning experiences.
- STEM learning outcomes demonstrate students' STEM literacy necessary for the next level of STEM learning and for post-secondary and workforce readiness.
- STEM teachers and leaders participate in a continuous program of STEM-specific professional learning.
- Community, post-secondary, business/industry partners and/or familiares actively support and are engaged with teachers and students in the STEM program.
- Students are supported in their STEM learning through adult-world connections and extended day opportunities.