Veteran Services

Florida SouthWestern State College is an approved Institution for Veterans Education Benefits. Veterans, and those eligible for VA benefits, must meet Florida SouthWestern State College admissions requirements in order to be certified by the VA Certifying Official and receive VA Education benefits. Eligible students are encouraged to complete the required VA procedures as early as possible, at least a week before the beginning of the tuition payment deadline.

The student must be working toward an approved degree in order to receive VA benefits. Once the Veteran’s Deferment form is received, Academic Advising will review the students schedule to ensure all classes the student is registered in at the time of the deferment are required for their chosen degree.

If any changes are made to the student’s schedule a new deferment must be submitted in order to receive VA funding for that course.

Veterans/students attending the Charlotte, Collier, or LaBelle Campus' should contact their respective Financial Aid Office regarding VA.

Contact Information

Monday - Friday: 8:30 - 4:30
Email all inquiries at


Colette Cox: 239-489-9398
Jeffery Rambo: 239-432-7374
Fax: 239-432-5236


Lee Campus Howard Hall (Q), Room 106 and 107
Veterans/students attending the Charlotte, Collier, or LaBelle Campus' should contact their respective Financial Aid Office regarding VA.

VA Work Study

The VA work-study allowance is available to persons receive VA approved funding for at least 3/4 time basis under the following programs:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill--(38 U.S.C. Chapter 33) (Veterans and transfer-of-entitlement recipients)
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Active Duty (38 U.S.C. Chapter 30)
  • REAP Participants
  • Montgomery GI Bill--Selected Reserve (10 U.S.C. Chapter 1606)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 32)
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (38 U.S.C. Chapter 35)
  • Eligible dependents under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 35 may use work study only while training in a State
  • National Call to Service Participants
  • Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program -- (38 U.S.C. Chapter 31)

You’ll earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater.

If you are interested in applying for VA work study, please reach out to Colette or Amey for more details and to obtain an application.

Military Transcripts

It is important to remember, if you are a veteran, the VA requires FSW to receive your military education transcripts within the first two semesters. After your first semester a hold will be placed onto your account, preventing you from registering for the next semester, until they are received. Most branches can request their military transcripts online using the DoD website and request them to be sent to Florida SouthWestern State College. If you served in the United States Air Force you will need to follow the instructions after clicking here.