Addiction Services, Certificate
The mission of the Social and Human Services Program is to provide the highest quality education to future and current Human Service Professionals with a learning environment that supports the development of culturally competent, compassionate and accountable professionals. The Program prepares graduates who are dedicated to the autonomy, dignity, and diversity of the people they serve.
The Addiction Services College Credit Certificate (CCC) is a shorter program of study that consists of select courses from the Social and Human Services Associate in Science Program. The CCC is designed to prepare students for employment as addictions specialists, or to provide supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in the field of addictions.
After successful completion of the Addiction Services CCC, the student will be able to perform the following:
- Demonstrate a general knowledge and understanding of the human services delivery system and human services occupations.
- Understand the importance of legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities.
- Apply case management skills in real life situations.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge and understanding of the biological aspects of addiction.
- Examine the theories, identification, and causes of addiction.
- Apply an understanding of treatment knowledge.
- Demonstrate competencies of practice using various interventions.
Many courses in the Program are available fully online (no classroom attendance) or offered in a blended format (occasional classroom attendance). The Social and Human Services Program is an open enrollment degree; no additional application is required. The Addiction Services, CCC can be completed in 3 semesters. All courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
The Social and Human Services Program is a member of the Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE) and supports the work of the Council in setting national standards for human service education. The Social and Human Services Program is also a Florida Certification Board (http://flcertificationboard.org/) approved provider. Students who complete the College Credit Certificate (CCC) in Addiction Services will simultaneously complete the training requirements for the following certifications with the Florida Certification Board or the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC):
- Certified Behavioral Health Technician (CBHT)
- Certified Recovery Peer Specialist (CRPS)
- Certified Recovery Support Specialist (CRSS)
- Certified Prevention Specialist (CPS)
- IC&RC Prevention Specialist (PS)
- Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC)
- IC&RC Alcohol & Drug Counseling (ADC)
NOTE: Students who hold a baccalaureate degree or higher may obtain academic training in the Social and Human Services Program to earn additional certifications such as the Certified Addiction Professional (CAP). Contact the Program for more details.
Program Contact Information
Dr. Terry McVannel-Erwin
Faculty Department Chair
Licensed Mental Health Counselor
Human Services - Board Certified Professional
Certified Master's Level Addiction Professional
Phone (239) 985-3499