Youth Development Services, Certificate
(Available Starting Fall 2019)
The mission of the Social and Human Services Program is to provide the highest quality education to future and current Human Service Professionals with a learning environment that supports the development of culturally competent, compassionate, and accountable professionals. The Program prepares graduates who are dedicated to the autonomy, dignity, and diversity of the people they serve.
Downloads and Links
- 2019-2020 Curriculum Sequence (PDF)
- Receive First-Hand News and Information About Our Program by Joining the Social and Human Services Program Student Colloquium.
The Human Services Youth Development Services College Credit Certificate (CCC) is a shorter program of study that consists of select courses from the Social and Human Services Associate in Science Program. The CCC is designed to prepare students with the knowledge and skills for working in child, family and youth service occupations in community, school, residential and group environments. It provides a foundation for AA students who wish to pursue a higher degree in a related field or supplemental training for persons previously or currently employed in the field of human services.
After successful completion of the Youth Development Services CCC, the student will be able to perform the following:
- Understand the importance of legal, ethical, and professional responsibilities.
- Display an understanding of a youth development approach in community-based, residential, group home and other youth worker environments.
- Examine the theories, principles and stages of typical human growth and development and the challenges of each stage.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge and understanding of community characteristics.
- Demonstrate a general knowledge and understanding of family dynamics.
- Understand how current social issues influence children/youth.
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles and best practices of a developmentally appropriate youth program.
Many courses in the Program are available fully online (no classroom attendance) or offered in a blended format (occasional classroom attendance). The Social and Human Services Program is an open enrollment program; no additional application is required. Students who enter the Youth Development Services, CCC Program in the Fall semester can complete the program in 3 semesters. All courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.