Florida SouthWestern State College Chapter of the Association of Florida Colleges
About the Association of Florida Colleges
The AFC is the professional association for employees at the 28 Florida College System institutions. It serves as the advocacy organization on substantive issues of importance to college personnel. Issues such as funding, retirement, continuing contracts, and developmental education are legislative priorities advocated by the AFC Legislative Committee and the AFC contract lobbyists.
The AFC provides opportunities to network with those who have similar interests or job responsibilities statewide. It is the place where professionals can turn for professional development, to establish a new network, and find answers to tough questions relating to higher education in the State of Florida. Think of being given the opportunity to not only read and talk about the legislative process, but having the chance to actually impact the results. Consider getting involved in a group that offers you unlimited ways to be a leader, develop a new skillset and be recognized by your peers for your efforts.
Purpose of the FSW Chapter of the AFC
- Support the Florida SouthWestern State College Vision, Values and Mission;
- Collaborate in a collegial and professional manner among faculty, administration and staff at all levels;
- Disseminate information regarding pertinent legislation and present the opinion of AFC members on important legislative matters to College administrators, college/community leaders and local and state legislators;
- Encourage and facilitate professional growth, service and developmental opportunities for members;
- Enhance the “One College” philosophy bringing all employees together for a common purpose; and
- Promote enhanced communication and collaboration between Florida SouthWestern State College and other colleges and universities within the state university system.
Discounts and Access for Members
Access and discounts to the following:
- Health Insurance
- Rental Car Discounts: Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise and Hertz
- Tuition Discounts: Capella University
- Discounts to Orlando Magic Basketball Games: AFC Members save on the gate price and avoid StubHub or other website fees
- TicketsAtWork.com: Discounts and special offers to popular theme parks and entertainment attractions nationwide!
- Working Advantage: A discount services program offering savings on Broadway tickets, movie tickets, sporting events, hotels and theme parks.
Professional and Personal Benefits
- Professional Development: Develop and hone skills in leadership, public speaking, advocacy, and interpersonal relationships.
- Access to information on issues and programs that affect higher education, the state college system, and you.
- Opportunities to attend workshops and conferences learning new skills and sharing your knowledge others. Present and showcase your knowledge and best practice ideas at local, regional, and statewide conferences.
- Opportunities to apply for AFC partnership scholarships and grants to continue your education.
- Connections with colleagues both at your college and colleges around the state.
- A voice in issues that affect your college and you as a college employee or retiree. Attend AFC meetings, ask questions and voice your opinion on issues that impact you, your institution, and your students. Your voice Matters!
- Collaboration in advocacy efforts: You directly benefit from the advocacy strengths of the Association.
- Lifelong friendships with others having the same interests.
- Opportunities to give back through local and statewide service projects.
AFC-Florida SouthWestern State College Chapter
Executive Board Members 2017-2018
Michelle Wright, President:
Amy English, Past President:
Sarah Corcoran, Secretary:
Pam Macander, Treasurer:
Kathie DiLascio, PR Representative/Historian:
Jackie Beard, Membership Chair:
Katelyn Smalley, Collier Campus Representative:
Ashley Mundy, Hendry/Glades Center Representative:
Sarah Clouse, Thomas Edison Campus Representative:
Vacant positions: President Elect and Charlotte Campus Representative