Residency For Tuition Purposes

EVERY student wishing to qualify for in-state tuition rates must complete the required Florida Residency Declaration. The declaration and supporting documentation must be submitted AND processed PRIOR to the start of your first semester of classes.

Acceptable documentation is listed on the declaration. The declaration and documents may be mailed, hand-delivered, faxed, or emailed to your preferred campus location.



A Florida “Resident for Tuition Purposes” is a person who (or a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian) has established and maintained legal residence in Florida for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes for the term that the student plans to enroll. To qualify as a “Florida Resident for Tuition Purposes” you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or legal alien granted indefinite stay by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Please note that residency guidelines may be subject to change and that the State of Florida Statute is the final determining factor governing residency for tuition purposes.

The Residency Declaration, along with copies of the supporting documents, must be submitted to the Admissions Office on the campus or center of your choice no later than the published “Last day to apply for change of Florida residency status” for the term in which the residency is requested (which can be located on the Official College Calendar).

For more information regarding Florida Residency for tuition purposes visit Florida Shines. Read more about the Florida Statutes on residency here.


INDEPENDENT STUDENT CRITERIA: Documents must be submitted as proof of independence.

  • Student is at least 24 years old before first day of classes
  • Student is married (marriage certificate required)
  • Student has children or other dependents who receive more than half of their support from the student (IRS transcript required)
  • Student is a veteran of the US Armed Forces or is currently serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces for purposes other than training (DD-214 or military orders required)
  • Student’s parents are deceased, or the student is/was (until age 18) a ward of the court or in foster care (death certificates or court order/letter from DCF required)
  • Student is determined an unaccompanied homeless by a school district homeless liaison, emergency shelter, or transitional housing program
  • Student has income of at least $9,350 (Copy of IRS transcript required)


  • Student who is under the age of 24 and does not meet the criteria to be classified as independent.