Active Duty Service Members

Tuition Assistance (TA)

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a government benefit offered to service members of all branches of the Armed Forces as well as military spouses/dependents to assist with the cost of tuition.

How to Request Tuition Assistance

Requesting Tuition Assistance is the same for all branches of the military and is outlined in the steps below. Specific information regarding the type of military Tuition Assistance you are using can be found in Branch Specific Information.

  1. Speak with your local Education Office to ensure your eligibility for Tuition Assistance.
  2. Follow their instructions for how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the timeframe in which you are able to request your TA indicated in the Branch Specific Information below.
  3. After the military approves your request, submit your Tuition Authorization form to the FSW Cashiers Office at
  4. Look for a TA credit to your account within 3-5 business days of receiving your form.

Branch Specific Information

Select your branch below for more information.

Benefit Summary (MyCAA)

The following is a summary of what My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Tuition Assistance will cover. Determine your eligibility on the MyCAA website, and contact a MyCAA Counselor at (800) 342-9647.

TA Request Timeframe

No earlier than 60 days before and no later than 1 day before the semester begins.

  • Spouses of Active Duty or activated National Guard/Reserve members (pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, and O1-O2) in the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Navy may qualify. The Coast Guard does not participate in the program at this time.
  • Must be seeking an associate degree, certificate, or licensure that expands employment and career opportunities (excluding General Studies, Liberal Arts, and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration).
  • May cover up to $2,000 per year and up to $4,000 total. 
  • Fees such as books are not covered. 
  • TA request timeframe: 

    • Start: 60 days before term starts 
    • End: 1 day before term starts 

Getting Started & More

  • If you have not used MyCAA Financial Assistance before, your first step is to contact a MyCAA Counselor at (800) 342-9647.
  • Ensure your MyCAA account is updated and you are aware of the MyCAA requirements.
  • Ensure you request your funding request 1-60 days prior to the start of the semester.
  • You will manually enter the course information on your funding request: 

    • The course subject code and number (e.g. ENC 1101)
    • The course title (e.g. Basic Composition) 
    • The course dates (e.g. Spring Mini-A Term, 1/9/23 - 2/23/23) 
    • The number of credit hours 
  • An Education and Training Plan must be submitted using a degree completion plan obtained from your FSW Student Success Advisor before MyCAA funds will be approved.
  • The GI Bill® (all chapters including Ch. 33 and 35), most outside scholarships, and MyCAA funding are not refundable to the student and therefore may need to be adjusted based on your eligibility. Please email to verify if these types of aid can be combined in a single semester.
  • Grades for your courses will be automatically submitted within 30 days of the end of the semester. It is your responsibility to ensure your grades are received.
Education and Training Plan (ETP)

You must work with your FSW Student Success Advisor to develop an Education and Training Plan (ETP) before requesting MyCAA Financial Assistance. The ETP must be uploaded to your MyCAA account for review before funding can be approved.

Your ETP will include: 

  • Student’s Name
  • School’s contact information 
  • Degree Program and Level 
  • Estimated cost of program 
  • Any transfer credit applied to the degree 
  • Program Duration (estimated start and end date of program) 
  • Detail of all required education

We are required to verify the cost of your attendance on your MyCAA ETP. Because of this, if you are planning to use the discounted military tuition rate and other military benefitsavailable for online military spouses, you must ensure your military documentation has been submitted and approved prior to requesting your Education and Training Plan. Contact us if you have questions. 

*State, federal, or commercial entities may impose additional requirements related to obtaining credentials in a given field. Further information can be found within the individual Program descriptions in our College Catalog.