Frequently Asked Advising Questions

How do I schedule/cancel an appointment with my Advisor?

To schedule: Look under the "Student Academics" tab in the FSW Student Portal to locate your Advisor's contact information and a link that you can use to schedule an appointment.

To cancel: Please call or email your Advisor to cancel your appointment. Students can schedule one advising session at a time. If you have an upcoming appointment scheduled, you must cancel it before scheduling another.

Why doesn't my Advisor have any open appointments?

Advisor appointment calendars fill up quickly. If you see no open appointment dates when checking in the Portal, please check back daily. Advisors add new appointments regularly and are typically only available a couple of weeks in advance.

Can I change my Advisor?

Yes, you can change your Advisor by visiting the Advising check-in desk and submitting a Change of Advisor form (PDF) or you can email the Advising office at You may choose to change to an Advisor on any FSW campus. For some AS majors or certain certificates, you may not be able to switch because there may be only one Advisor that assists these students.

Why am I classified as an AA degree-seeking student when I really want to pursue a limited access program/other specific major (Nursing/Radiologic Technology/etc.)? 

Limited access programs require that you complete prerequisite courses prior to applying. While you are completing these courses, if you have not already completed an Associate in Arts degree, this would be an appropriate degree-seeking program for you. Likewise, if you are planning on pursuing a specific major at the university-level, you will need to complete the Associate in Arts first. The Associate in Arts is the first half of your Bachelor’s degree. You will work with your advisor to ensure that your intended pathway is accurate so that your prerequisite courses for your major are factored into your AA degree educational plan. 

How can I change my major or program?

To change your major, schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. If you want to change your major or future degree, your advisor will work with you to create a new education plan to ensure you are on track for your new planned major.

If you want to change your program at FSW, you will also want to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. Let your advisor know of your plan to change programs. You will complete a Change of Student Data form with your advisor, which you will then submit to the Registrar's Office. Depending upon what program you change to, your Advisor may also change, which will be updated in the Portal. Some programs at FSW are limited access and must be applied for rather than simply switched into. 

Can I take a course over for a better grade?

Please visit the following link for more information on Multiple Attempt Course Surcharge, Maximum Course Attempts, Grade Forgiveness Policy, and other policies under the Grading Policies and Multiple Course Attempts heading.

Please contact an Academic Advisor or appropriate department for more information.

How many credits are considered full time vs. part-time student status?

Full Time: A student enrolled in twelve credits or more during the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters, or six credits or more during a mini-semester is considered to be a full-time student.

Part-Time: A student enrolled in fewer than twelve credits during the Fall, Spring or Summer semesters, or fewer than six credits during a mini semester is considered to be a part-time student.

How do I know if I have a hold?

When you log onto your FSW Student Portal, click on Student Academics and then click on View Holds.

Common holds and what action is required to remove them:

  • Advising Hold: You must schedule an Advising appointment and meet with the Advisor to have this hold removed.

  • Cornerstone Hold: This hold will remain on your account until you have successfully completed SLS 1515 with a C or better. This hold does not prevent registration. However, registration cannot be completed through portal with this hold and must be completed either on paper at the Registrar’s office or through a DocuSign form. 

  • SOAP Progress Report: You must have the instructor for each of your courses complete and sign the printed Class Progess Information document (PDF). You must then schedule an appointment and submit the document to your Advisor to have the hold removed.

  • Assessment Hold: You must speak to Testing Services to determine if additional testing is needed.

  • Transcript Hold: The hold should specify if high school or college transcripts must be submitted. For high school transcripts, please submit an official copy to the Admissions Office. For college transcripts, please submit an official copy to the Registrar's Office.

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

Dropping a class after the drop/add period has ended is considered a Withdrawal. You may withdraw from a course after the add/drop period has ended with no grade penalty, however, you will not be eligible for a tuition refund and must still pay any outstanding balances owed to the college.


How do I know what courses I still need to take for my degree?

You should schedule an appointment with your Advisor to discuss remaining degree requirements. In preparation for this appointment, you may review your degree evaluation in your student portal. It is important to review your audit with your academic advisor to ensure complete accuracy and understanding.

To view your degree evaluation:

  • Click on Student Academics

  • Click on Student Profile

  • Click on Degree Evaluation

  • On the bottom of the screen, click on Generate New Evaluation

  • Click the bubble beside your program

  • Choose the current term

  • Click on Generate Request

What is a Credit Review and how do I complete one?

A credit review is the official process to review how a course you have taken at another institution articulates (transfers) to FSW. If you believe a course on your record should have transferred into FSW differently, please schedule an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss.

To submit a Credit Review, you will follow the steps listed in the Credit Review Form and Committee Schedule (PDF). You must complete all steps and submit all necessary documentation for your petition to be considered. No submission will be accepted with missing documentation. It is recommended that you work with your advisor through this process to ensure that all steps are completed.

How do I apply for graduation or commencement?

To learn more about auto graduation and commencement, please click here.  

Can my advisor help with financial aid?

Advisors are unable to view any financial aid information in your account. Please see the contact information for financial aid here.

How do I re-admit to FSW?

You may need to re-admit to FSW if you previously attended Florida SouthWestern State College but have been away for 3 or more semesters. You can find more information on re-admitting here:

How do I submit my Florida residency verification?

To be considered for in-state tuition, you must provide a "Florida Residency Declaration" form and documentation. You can find information on that here. 

What do I need to be prepared for the first day of class?

Getting prepared for the first day of class really starts in the days before. Log in to Canvas and see if your syllabi for your courses have been posted. Familiarize yourself with your assignments, due dates, and preferences of communication for your professor. 

I’ve never taken an online class before. How can I get prepared? What do I need to know?

For online courses, it will be essential that you feel comfortable navigating Canvas. Try doing the Canvas Student Orientation . Make sure you have all the necessary technology for your online course. Some courses require an external webcam and this will be noted in the syllabus.


I’m looking for a scholarship. Where should I go?

All FSW scholarships can be applied for through one convenient application and can be found here: Additionally, there are several other scholarship resources available through the FSW scholarship page, but one not listed that is particularly helpful is the SWFL Community Foundation scholarship site: Their scholarship application cycle is typically open from December to February. 


I want to apply for housing. Where can I find information on this?

LightHouse Commons is the first student housing and learning community at Florida SouthWestern State College. Located on the Lee Campus in Fort Myers, these beautiful suite-style residences blend modern luxury with incredible value! You can find additional information on housing here or email


I’m a first-generation college student and I want to give my family some information on my college experience. Where can I find this?

At FSW, roughly 41% of our student population are first-generation college students. We celebrate this achievement with you and are here to support you along the way! Check out and make sure to meet with your advisor to discuss any questions you may have about your college experience! 

I’m a veteran. Is there someone I can meet with to discuss my VA benefits?

We thank you for your service and welcome you to being a Buccaneer! At FSW, the office of Veterans Services provides assistance with navigating your VA benefits and your new life as a student at FSW! You can find their information here: